Archetypes, Dreams & Trauma: A full day of talks exploring the psychology of the unconscious.
”Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life, and you will call it fate.” C.G. Jung
Why do you do what you do?
Are you really in control of your thoughts, feelings and behaviour?
Or are there elements beneath the surface that are really running the show?
The depth psychologists; Freud, Jung and Adler, helped us understand that much of what we do is shaped by the unconscious, and that our conscious mind (the ego) is just the tip of the iceberg.
Crucially, they also developed methods for working with the unconscious and making its contents conscious, to improve our self awareness and give us greater freedom in our lives.
But are their theories and approaches still credible, given what recent developments in neuroscience have since revealed about the human mind?
In this series of talks, we’ll explore the key ideas of Freud, Jung and Adler, and examine them in light of modern, scientific research.
Attendees will learn:
- Sigmund Freud’s theories of the unconscious; are dreams really the ‘royal road’ to the unconscious?
- Alfred Adler and trauma-informed psychotherapy; how do traumatic events in early life affect you in later years? And how can you best heal from them?
- Carl Jung and the archetypes; what are the key archetypes you should be aware of? Why are they so powerful in influencing behaviour? And how do these ancient, motivational systems affect you in the modern world?
You’ll leave with a clear understanding of how these ideas can improve your own emotional intelligence, but also your ability to help others too.
The format will be similar to a TED event, but with in-depth lectures and focused on the theme of depth psychology.
- 10:00am – 12:00pm: Session 1
- 12:00 – 1:00pm: Lunch break
- 1:00pm – 3:00pm: Session 2
- 3:00pm – 3:15pm: Afternoon break
- 3:15pm – 5:00pm: Session 3
- 5:20pm – 7:00pm: Attendee Social & Networking (Optional)